The 10 Best Golf Wedges For High Handicappers In 2022
The best golf wedges for high handicappers are determined by the golfer’s ability to hit a consistent swing. A consistent swing allows you to play more confidently, which creates better shots and scores on the course. If you want to improve your game, or just feel confident on the course, then it is important that you find a wedge that fits your needs.
The article will go on about how some of these wedges can help high handicappers because they have certain features like additional bounce angles or grips for different types of swings.
In this article, we will go through the best wedges for high handicappers. First, we will give our criteria on what makes a wedge great, then describe how each of these wedges got on our list and why they are some of the best wedges for high handicappers.
The Criteria Used To Determine The Best Wedge For High Handicappers
We looked at a number of factors when selecting the best wedges for high handicappers. These factors include:
- The amount of bounce on the wedge
- The shape or design of the wedge
- The materials used to make the wedge
- Whether the wedge has a custom or standard grip
- The size and weight of the club
- Whether the wedge is right or left-handed
The amount of bounce on a wedge determines how high you can hit the ball with the club. Higher bounces allow you to get under the golf ball, which results in stopping it quickly after landing. Wedges that are too high prevent the golfer from getting under the ball and cause them to pop the ball up in the air. This can be a difficult shot to make, especially if you are trying to play a green that is close to the hole.
The shape or design of a wedge also determines how well it will work for you. Wedges that have a rounded sole help you glide across the ground and prevent digging into the turf. This can help you get under the golf ball and produce a cleaner shot. Wedges with a V-shaped sole tend to dig into the ground and cause the shot to go wayward. Because of this, we recommend that you stay away from V-shaped wedges if you have a high handicap.
The materials used to make a wedge also play a role in how well the club will work for you. Wedges that are made from stainless steel are typically more durable and have a high-quality appearance. They can last for years without any problems. Wedges that have a graphite shaft are a bit more flexible and can help you generate more clubhead speed. This can be helpful if you have a slow swing speed.
10 Best wedges for high handicappers review
Cleveland CBX2 Wedge
This wedge is great for higher handicap golfers, with a hollow cavity that can provide forgiveness at impact. The Dynamic Sole has three different sole grinds to help execute any shot needed on the course. This wedge also produces a clean feel thanks to the Feel Balancing Technology and Gelback TPU Insert. It’s good for short shots from the rough thanks to the Rotex Face Technology which delivers our sharpest Tour Zip Grooves and most aggressive face milling for max spin and control of balls in play.
- This wedge is great for higher handicap golfers, with a hollow cavity that can provide forgiveness at impact.
- The Dynamic Sole has three different sole grinds to help execute any shot needed on the course.
- The materials used to make the wedge are top-quality and durable.
- Rotex Face Technology delivers our sharpest Tour Zip Grooves and most aggressive facemilling for max spin and control of balls in play.
- This wedge will usually cause massive divots if you do not hit it flush.
- The hollow cavity may also produce inconsistent shots.
Callaway Mack Daddy CB Wedge
Callaway Mack Daddy CB Wedge are a premier wedge for the most demanding player. They feature Groove-In-Groove technology, which increases spin and control on full shots by up to 25%. The four sole grinds allow you to customize your wedge for different attack angles and course conditions. With a variety of lofts and bounce combinations, these wedges will provide satisfaction from soft carbon steel, precise CG locations, and crisp turf interaction.
Callaway Mack Daddy CB has a beautiful platinum chrome or black matte finish, and they look amazing at the address. The feel and turf interaction are also fantastic. The grooves on the wedges are extremely precise, and they provide more spin than any other wedge I’ve ever used. The sole grinds are also perfect for a variety of playing styles. I would highly recommend these wedges to anyone looking for an edge around the green.
- Increased spin and control on full shots.
- Four sole grinds for different playing styles and course conditions.
- Broad range of lofts and bounce combinations.
- Soft carbon steel for a satisfying feel.
- Precise CG locations for accurate shots.
- Shafts and grip may not be available in all regions.
- May need to substitute an equivalent shaft/grip.
Callaway Sure Out 2 Wedge
The Callaway Sure Out 2 Wedge is a new addition to the Mack Daddy product line. This wedge features a matte nickel finish and comes with a sand wedge, pitching wedge and lob wedge. Each of these wedges features four sole grinds which are ideal for combating the types of courses you might face in your local golfing conditions.
The sand wedge has a low bounce which is beneficial if you must contend with sand bunkers. The pitching wedge has a mid bounce which helps you make more accurate shots from up close and the lob wedge is ideal for getting out of those tough greenside situations. Last but not least, the Sure Out 2 Wedge features an exclusive Mack Daddy.
- 4 sole grinds, each of which is designed to combat different types of courses.
- High quality material construction.
- Low bounce for smooth, efficient sand play.
- Intermediate bounce ideal for up close shots.
- High bounce to clear grass around the green.
The multi-material construction may make the club heavy.
Cleveland Smart Sole 4 Wedge
The new Cleveland Smart Sole 4 Wedge helps even the most high-handicapped golfer get their ball into flight without those dreaded mishits. With added bounce at its leading edge, a center of gravity very close to face on sole and three tiered design for more surface area in contact with ground all around club head – this wedge is sure make your game soar!
The technology in this wedge makes it the most forgiving on the market, which means that you can purchase three different lofts: 42 degree pitch for full shots with plenty ofrons; 50 and 58 degrees if your swings are off target but still need some help around greens. Cleveland did this because many golfers hit their pitching Wedges well enough to make an entire shot but not so much when trying use them coming back from hazards or towards flagsticks – making those shorter putts feel like longer ones!
The Smart Sole has solved all these problems by giving me a little extra loft during my stroke while also adding just enough stability at impact points (especially near green complexions) where I typically would lose focus because nothing else was helping out.
Smart Sole Technology
Three different lofts for easier overshot
Center of gravity very close to face on sole
- The logos or product names are too big and influential. Try to place them as inconspicuously as possible.
Titleist Vokey SM8 Wedges
Looking for an edge around the green? Then you need a set of Titleist Vokey SM8 wedges. These clubs have been precision-crafted to help you dial in your shots like never before. With their new Spin Milled 8 groove technology, you’ll be able to generate more spin and control on all kinds of surfaces. So don’t wait any longer; order your set of Titleist Vokey SM8 wedges today!
Titleist Vokey SM8 wedges are engineered with eight unique groove patterns to produce more spin from a variety of playing styles, attack angles and course conditions.
In the early nineteenth century the golf ball had a large cork center and four equally spaced walrus ivory “wings” or lugs arranged around its circumference. The idea was that the ball would fly straight for longer, before curving to the right for a right-handed player as it slowed and its cork center spun round to align itself with the direction of travel.
- More consistent directioning capabilities than SM7 without sacrificing solid feel, versatility or aggressive spin control.
- Brand-new CG design that makes it much more accurate and forgiving than any other model of wedge.
- For Premium performance you have to pay premium price.
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedge
The Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedge is perfect for golfers looking for a club that provides exceptional feel and control around the green. The Club has been precision shaped by Roger Cleveland, making it easy to play a wider variety of greenside shots. With a traditional shaped lob and sand wedge, progressing into a compact player preferred design in the gap and pitching wedges, the MD5 offers a seamless transition into your iron set.
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedge is designed with a thick, milled face and progressive sole grinds for added versatility. These wedges feature a Callaway original Pure Roll insert to ensure a smooth contact on full shots, even when the ball is off center.
The Jaws motif of the club is reflected in the angled top line that forms an open-jawed profile at address. This design is also incorporated into the sole of the club, offering a unique visual as well as added flexibility for open and shut shots.
- Has a thick, milled face.
- Comes with Pure Roll insert.
- Offers a seamless transition into your iron set.
- Is designed with a thick, milled face and progressive sole grinds for added versatility.
- None found so far.
Callaway Mack Daddy CB Wedge
The Mack Daddy CB Wedge is the perfect club for golfers who demand more spin and control from their short game. The groove-in-groove technology provides extra spin, while the four sole grinds offer a variety of playing styles and course conditions. With a broad range of lofts and bounce combinations, it’s easy to find the perfect wedge for your game. Plus, the soft carbon steel construction and precise CG locations create a satisfying feel on every shot. And with a choice of platinum chrome or black matte finish, the Mack Daddy CB Wedge looks as good as it plays.
- More spin from groove-in-groove technology
- Four sole grinds for versatility in playing style and course conditions
- Broad range of lofts and bounce combinations
- Satisfying feel with soft carbon steel, precise CG locations and turf interaction
- Choice of Platinum Chrome or Black Matte finish
- Groove-in-groove technology could result in uneven spin
- Broad range of bounce combinations means that you may need to carry separate wedges for different conditions
Wilson Harmonized Golf Wedges
Wilson Harmonized Golf Wedges are the perfect club for getting your ball closest to the pin. With a classic, high polish finish and classic blade shape, these wedges look as good as they play. Made with True Temper steel irons for high performance and reliability, you can count on Wilson Harmonized Golf Wedges to help improve your game. The sole grind allows players to open the club face further to hit higher shots with more accuracy, while the blade shape with modified bounce angles provides dead stop spin and versatility from the sand, rough, or fairway.
Wilson Harmonized Golf Wedges are best for low budget golfers looking for one specific wedge. They are also great for new golfers looking to develop their technique. Pros need not apply, as these wedges will only deliver mediocre results on the course.
- Classic and reliable look
- True Temper steel provides great durability and feel
- Sole grind allows players to open club face for higher shots with more accuracy
- Non stainless material makes the club susceptible to corrosion over time.
Cleveland Golf CBX Wedge
The Cleveland CBX wedge – our most extreme open face design yet! Featuring a High Toe Profile, Rotex Full Face and C-Shaped Sole, this wedge is perfect for hitting those extreme shots around the green. And with our optimized Low C-Shape Sole, you’ll have plenty of forgiveness on those heel and toe shots. So grab your Cleveland CBX wedge and start making some shots that will leave your opponents in awe.!
Forged from soft carbon steel that provides a soft, satisfying feel and delivers an increase in spin from our exclusive Groove-In-Groove Technology. Rotex Face Milling creates maximum spin to stop the ball on even the most difficult green conditions. Optimized Low C-Shape Sole increases blade height for a variety of shots around the green while promoting more consistent turf interaction.
- Soft feel
- Increases spin from grooves
- Gets in the air easily with minimal effort
- Good for different kinds of shots around the green
- Not great for volleys or for banking shots off the ground
Cleveland Golf CBX Full-Face 58 RH
Looking to take your game to the next level with extreme open face shots? Look no further than the Cleveland Golf CBX Full-Face 58 RH! This club is designed with a HIGH TOE PROFILE and ROTEX FULL FACE for maximum spin and versatility. And with our LOW C-SHAPED SOLE, you’ll be able to effortlessly manipulate the face of the club for optimal performance. Get ready to take your game to new heights with the Cleveland Golf CBX Full-Face 58 RH.
The Cleveland CBX Full-Face wedge is the perfect choice for golfers looking to improve their game around the green. Its wide sole and overall blade profile provide extreme forgiveness on open-face shots, making it easier for you to perform impressive feats of greenside nesse.
- easy to hit high shots, even off uneven terrain
- enables the player to concentrate more on where they want the ball to go rather than how they need to contact it
- harder to control distance (though this is a pro for most golfers)
Things to consider when choosing a golf Wedge for high handicappers
Wedges can be a tricky thing to navigate. You have your blade style wedges, which offer more support and comfort for players who strike the ball well but lack shot-stopping power off their shoes; then there’s cavity backs that provide forgiveness in any direction – especially towards green (though some might say they’re not suitable even at low levels). The best bet? Try both types out before making an informed decision.
Wedges come in two different types of shafts: graphite and steel. Steel is most common, but if you have both kinds at home it makes sense to put them into play as well – especially with their increased power that can help take down even long shots.
The more bounce a golf club has, the easier it will be on your shots. Forgiving clubs are good for players of all skill levels and can help you make better plays even if their scores don’t match up with others around them.
The best wedge for high handicappers is one that they are comfortable hitting. This can be determined by considering the golfer’s swing type, height, weight, stance width and skill level. If distance and accuracy are not factors, clubs with a higher lofts and greater head weights might be the best choice. Of course if you’re hitting wedges that have less than 50 degrees of loft or your short irons fly too high, you should consider a lower-lofted wedge because it will allow you to control the ball more easily.